Workshops ~ If you’re an installer, an artisan or a hobbyist, our workshops are the perfect way to learn this unique cedar shingle siding application. Sign up now for a rare opportunity to work one-on-one with this talented craftsman, and learn this unique craft yourself. Below we outline the workshops we offer in Alaska. We can also conduct workshops on site; please contact us for those details. We offer custom, unique and artistic cedar shingle patterns and panels, workshops on creating silhouette shingle art and an unlimited variety of cedar shingle siding designs.
Paul works closely with each individual to customize their workshop to meet their needs and interests. Participants will learn each step required to design and apply shingle artwork. Activities will range from classroom setting to hands on application. At the conclusion, should they desire, each participant will create their own small custom free hanging mural.
General Requirements & Tools Required:
- General carpentry skills & ability to use power tools is required.
- Each participant will need to be familiar with the following tools: level, hammer, carpenter square or T-Bevel, jigsaw.
- Participants should have some artistic talent.
- Since each workshop is custom designed to the individual participant’s needs and interests, the length of each workshop may vary.
- Typical workshops range in length from 3 to 5 days, scheduled Monday through Friday.
- A serious craftsman interested in mastering this art may schedule several workshops, or a workshop intensive that may last up to two weeks.
- Workshops are scheduled on a first come-first served basis, so the sooner you call to reserve a slot, the easier it will be to get the dates you want.
- Off-season (Oct. 1 – April 30) workshops are easiest to schedule.
- Workshops held during peak season (May 1 – Sept. 30) should be scheduled at least a year in advance whenever possible.
- Since each workshop is custom designed for each student, call Paul at 907-491-5827 to discuss your particular workshop.
- Lunch and coffee breaks with refreshments are provided each day.
- The workshops are held in Paul’s Studio in Seward, Alaska.
How to Schedule a Workshop:
- To schedule a workshop, please call us at 907-491-5827. If you get voice mail, please leave us a message and we’ll return the call as soon as possible. Please remember that Alaska is 4 hours earlier than EST when calling! You may also send us an email if you prefer (see the Contact Us page).
- Once a workshop is scheduled a 50% deposit will required.
Deposits will be refunded if you have to cancel, as long as it occurs at least 14 days in advance. Deposits on cancellations that occur within 14 days of the workshop will be credited towards a future workshop.
Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay, LLC offers a cabins with kitchenettes at a discount to workshop attendees between October and April.
- If you plan on a workshop between May 1 and September 30, we recommend you secure accommodations at least a year in advance. Lodging rates are considerably higher and there are no discounts beyond normal. Depending on when you attempt to secure lodging for this period you may find your choices quite limited or extremely expensive.
- If Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay is full, or does not have availability for your entire stay, we will assist you in locating other good lodging. This is easiest for the off-season period.
- If you live close enough, you can drive. From Anchorage take the Seward Highway south 120 miles to Seward.
- In most cases, you will fly to Anchorage and rent a car. Seward is 120 miles south of Anchorage.
- There is also daily bus service to Anchorage from Seward, 907-224-3608. Car rental is available in Seward from Hertz, 907-224-4378.
- There is taxi service in the greater Seward area. Seward is also an easy town to walk around in, and to. The workshop is held 3 miles out of Seward, a nice walk.
- Seward is a charming town in beautiful surroundings, a delight to visit any time of year. The small historic downtown offers a number of good restaurants and unique shops. The small boat harbor area offers tours of the bay year round and longer tours into the Kenai Fjords National Park during summer months.
- These pages on Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay’s website give details.
- No other workshops are scheduled at this time; check this page for updates, or give Paul a call at 907-491-7378.